Monday, February 1, 2010

A nice review from the Noise

TINY FIRES
Burst & Bloom
Tiny Fires 7-song CD

Magical, elegant, dreamy… Tiny Fires’ self-titled CD is a beautiful collection of sound and music. I specifically use the word “sound” because they incorporate the joy of sound into their music. For example, they include “stomping” or tap dancing as part of what makes up their music but add that to gorgeous, lilting vocal harmonies and such wonderful instruments as calliope keyboards, toy piano, kalimba, glockenspiel, and castanets, along with guitar, bass, piano. This is an example of being creative with the artistry of music. Some highlights include the beatniky, dare I say slightly Lou Reed-ish (but much prettier) “Wild at Heart,” the truly lovely “Beacon,” “Magpies” a lingering and captivating song, and the slightly garagey, organic number that is “(Stronger Than) Wedding Rings”—which, wow, I feel I haven’t adequately given this song the description it surely deserves. All are really delights to the ear and the soul. I’d also like to add that I love the CD artwork. It captures the essence of this unique collection. (Debbie Catalano) 

No comments:

Post a Comment